Into that Night

I sunk into that night
The star crossed sea of black
The warm frosts of a blazing tundra.
It suited me,
Vast and infinite
Yet so near and immediate.

I woke up to a nightmarish daylight
All sharp lines and edges,
like a field of razor blades

The light I had created was now meaningless
As the sunlight spun a new reality
 Of brightness and twinkling lies
So I donned a mask and cloak
To protect the truth I clutched in my chest

When the day had finally had its fun
And retired back across the end of everything
I ran back to my nighttime's embrace
Turning my eyes to the sky
Yet all I saw was a desecrated emptiness
thrown before me

Gone were the inky depths
Now dingy, horrid grey-blue

The stars shut their eyes
And shone no more

The moon cast a cold gaze
Her warm, soft face frozen over

The night howled with hunger,
Keening and groaning,
Snapping me up
Even as I threw myself to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment