The Tree

The tree bent its long arms down, as if to engulf me. Not in the way that a giant claw would engulf you, but in the way that i remember being engulfed by you.

I looked up into its maze of branches and sighed, because it reminded me of the maze of your mind, the maze I was constantly trying to find my way through.

The green leaves were just peeking out from their winter of hiding beneath the surface of rough bark, and I remembered how shy you were, the first time you told me that you loved me. I should have known that those leaves would eventually turn brown and fall to the ground, only to be trampled on by all the oblivious passersby...

I fit perfectly in between the branches, at least at first. But the longer I sat there in those arms, the more uncomfortable I became, and the more I wanted to leave. But as soon as I climbed down and I felt the sun shining hot on my back like the eyes of those oblivious passersby, I missed your shady protection.

2 comments:

  1. A good metaphore for certain relationships. Well crafted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this, and I'm so excited to put the zine together, cause everyone's stuff is so great!

    ReplyDelete